Research Proposal

(I have yet to read some sources in full so this list is subject to change)

My primary sources will consist of:

• Haddon, Mark. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  • Silberman, Steve. NeuroTribes
  • Higashida, Naoki. The Reason I Jump
  • Mukhopadhyay, Tito. How can I talk if my lips don’t move?

I’m looking for educational aspects in the literary texts I included. Christopher Boone spends a lot of time in his “special” school; Mukhopadhyay is mostly educated by his mother; I’m in the process of reading both Higashida and Silberman but I’m sure education will pop up.

Here are some questions that arise from these texts:

• Is the inclusion of autistics in mainstream classes beneficial or detrimental to both “types” of students?
  • What are some arguments about including a neurodivergent outlook in a “normal” classroom setting?
  • How might this affect the neurodiversity movement?
  • Does excluding neurodivergents in mainstream classrooms increase the stigmas against them?
  • How can we bring neurodiversity into a strict classroom curriculum?

Possible secondary sources:

• Armstrong, Thomas. Neurodiversity in the classroom, Developing and Evaluating Educational Programs for Students with Autism
  • Brantlinger, A. Ellen. Who Benefits from Special Education?
  • Magyar, I. Caroline. Developing and Evaluating Educational Programs for Students with Autism
  • Franklen, Fred & Wood, J. Jeffrey. Social Skills Success for Students with Autism/Asperger’s: How to Teach Conversation Skills, Prevent Meltdowns, and Help Kids Fit In
  • Luiselli, K. James, Russo, C. Dennis, Christian, P. Walter, and Wilczynski, M. Susan. Effective Practices for Children with Autism: Educational and Behavioral support interventions that work

These are textbooks. Some include academic articles in them that go beyond or are perfectly compatible for my topic. I’ll definitely use one or two reviews on Curious Incident, both the novel and the play, especially Olear’s review on Haddon’s novel and the blog post on the topic. There are also some arguments on including Curious Incident in the classroom and it being banned. I’ll also try and find sources that are based on experiments of neurodivergents in mainstream classrooms. (More to come).

A personal motive for researching this topic is that it will help me as a future educator if I were to ever come across this situation. I have yet to come across opposing views of neurodivergents in a classroom, but I’m sure if there are current debates behind this topic it will strengthen my paper and allow me to contribute to the conversation. This topic may also seem insignificant to the public eye but it is important to the neurodiversity movement and educators as well.

2 Comments so far

1.   ikhan113 on November 23rd, 2016

The questions that you are trying to address, the inclusion of autistic and other individuals who fall in the neuordivergent category, is a very heated topic in today’s mainstream debate. I think in your research you will find a lot of divergent views on the topics (as we clearly saw when we read reviews on Haddon’s book). You already have a lot of really good primary and secondary sources. I guess one way to go about it would be to put conflicting views in conversation and then clarify your views on the subject. I don’t know if this may help but there are a lot of youtube videos by autistic individuals and their aim is mainly to educate and allow neurotypical individuals to better understand autistic people. I don’t know if you want to include analysis of videos in your paper but that is always an option. For me, personally I thought Murray’s book Representing Autism was very informative, since he shows how autism is misrepresented in our cultural media. This is a good start.

2.   Radheeka Sharma on December 22nd, 2016

I know this very late, but I think you have a good set of questions for your research. I agree with Ikram, that this is a heated debate right now and you will definitely be able to find various different arguments on this topic.