Comfortably Numb

My research project has been progressing well and a lot better than I thought. The only problem I’m having is organizing and structuring my paper so that it flows well for readers.

The introduction has been a problem because I want to provide certain information for readers through the introduction, but I don’t want to give away too much that the reader can already assume what I’ll be discussing later on. I’m also not sure if I should format the paper with subheadings or make it continuous. I’m looking back on Hayot’s chapters: Chapter 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, and 18 to help me with this problem and some of it has been helpful. The stance I’m taking might be just reviewing and studying the theoretical terrain and relating / coming up with new ideas.

Also, finishing up on finals with other courses has been a burden and messes up my stream-of-consciousness. So I needed to get all of that out of the way before I start writing.

The good thing is that I have a lot of evidence and enough information to support my project. I didn’t have to make any detrimental changes to my annotated bibliography and actually added a huge argument that allows me to open up a new and relatable realm to my paper.

And I’m also running out of Merlot.

3 Comments so far

1.   ikhan113 on December 13th, 2016

Yup that’s it. You need more Merlot, and you will be alright. I think you shouldn’t worry about revealing too much in the beginning. If it helps the reader, and you are going to expand on what you have laid out then it shouldn’t be a problem. I am happy for you. You got it all under control.

2.   Chani Rubenstein on December 14th, 2016

Brandon, I have absolute faith in you. And the power of alcoholic beverages for certain types of writers (please be careful! You are so much more important than your paper). That being said, I would advise you to use subheadings. It feels weird. Like putting your socks on wrong or something, but it does work to help you organize your thoughts. Worry about the reader later. I am totally feeling you with the annotated bibliography. I feel as if I know where I am, in a weird way. So I know where I am, my socks feel funny, and I still have finals to finish. Just do your best, make a good-faith effort, and concentrate on the big stuff. You can make it neat and up to your standards of cleanliness of writing in draft two. I won’t judge you if you won’t judge me! Be well, and good luck!

3.   Jason Tougaw on December 15th, 2016

I’m with Chani. Sub-headings sound like a good idea. I think they’d work well for your essay, because you are exploring topics that are related but also coming from different realms. It sounds like you’re making the right kinds of progress. I’ll leave the Merlot up to you.