My peers help with the tears

The most reassuring part about the feedback I received is that everyone agrees that my topic is heated and ongoing.

I was also able to sharpen my thesis on a paragraph that stood out to everyone. I mentioned that teaching literature that pertains to the overall topic of neurodiversity can help students understand the term. Ikram backed up this claim and Professor Tougaw agreed that it was one way to help navigate students through the complexity of the tensions between social and physiological ways of understanding disability. Studying the terminology that surrounds neurodiversity can also help students increase their understanding of how to use appropriate terms when writing.

My thesis will focus more on the literature I’m using (Tito Mukhopadhyay’s How Can I Talk If My Lips Don’t Move?, Naoki Higashida’s The Reason I Jump, Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, I also added Francisco X. Stork’s Marcelo in the Real World to even out the literature I’m using to 2 memoirs and 2 fiction) and how it can be beneficial to students in numerous ways. Students will be able to understand the tensions between the physiological and social understanding of disability and how these two sides clash; what terminology is appropriate when facilitating a discussion about neurodiverse people; and some will be able to sympathize with the protagonist age wise (all novels invite YA readers).

On top of this, I would commit myself to read at least 1 chapter of Hayot’s book to pick out flaws when re-reading.

Edit: Here’s an excerpt from the introduction of Stephen King’s The Bazaar of Bad Dreams to help with the writing process –

“the finished product never seems quite as good as the splendid idea that rose from the subconscious one day, along with the excited thought, Ah man! I gotta write this right away! Sometimes the result is pretty good, though. And every once in awhile, the result is even better than the original concept. I love it when that happens. The real challenge is getting into the damned thing, and I believe that’s why so many would-be writers with great ideas never actually pick up the pen or start tapping away at the keys. All too often, it’s like trying to start a car on a cold day. At first the motor doesn’t even crank, it only groans. But if you keep at it (and if the battery doesn’t die), the engine starts . . . runs rough . . . and then smooths out” (2).

3 Comments so far

1.   Chani Rubenstein on January 30th, 2017

Hi Brandon! I just read through your annotated bibliography, and am extremely excited to work with you, Ikramullah, and Prof. Tougaw to take your piece to the next level. Your thesis sounds awesome! As a future educator, special education is especially fascinating to me. I think that your sources seem strong, and your topic is definitely very relevant. I look forward to seeing where you stand on all of this. Be well!

2.   Jason Tougaw on February 4th, 2017

I love that Stephen King quote. Full disclosure: I tried to read a Stephen King book over the break. My husband gave it to me for Christmas. I’m not sure why. I couldn’t get more than a few pages in. It was just too gruesome. When I was about thirteen or fourteen, I read a bunch of Stephen King books. I couldn’t enough. I don’t know if his writing’s gotten more brutal or I’ve gotten more sensitive.

But he’s smart about writing. It’s great advice.

3.   ikhan113 on February 7th, 2017

I think you have a lot of interesting and controversial debate on this issue. I am excited about how the finish piece will look like, because I want to what you think is the right way to incorporate this subject into the classroom setting.