I write a To Do list every day.

Here are a few things I need to focus on:

1. Strengthen thesis – make it clear what I’m doing in this paper and why it matters.
  2. Find more sources on the pieces and on education.
  3. Stop being so wordy, get to the point.
  4. Structure – make the paper flow better.
    • Include works of literature earlier.
    • More literature, fewer paraphrasing. I need to find which sources are actually worth including in my paper and where their strongest arguments are made.

It’s great to do this paper in portions. It feels like I’m in a video game and just tackled the first two bosses before entering the castle and facing the final one. I need to strategize my paper better and make sure readers know what they’re reading before getting fancy with terminology and suggestions. I’m taking a break for now by tackling other assignments for other classes before I put my headphones on and listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers for hours while writing. Also, it feels pretty good to get this assignment out of the way so early in the semester.

5 Comments so far

1.   Jason Tougaw on February 16th, 2017

I love the video game analogy. I wish I’d thought of that

Your number 1 also includes motive. It seem sto me that this is related to #4. If I have it right, the plan is to show how teaching these literary texts about autism can help teachers navigate the tensions between medical and social models of disability. Is that right?

2.   Brandon Hernandez on February 17th, 2017

Yes. These texts fit in the realm of diversity and neurodiversity is one type that students can benefit from learning. Since the topic is sensitive, teachers can help navigate through these tensions.

3.   Jason Tougaw on February 17th, 2017

It’s a great focus.

4.   ikhan113 on February 20th, 2017

Do you need more sources? I think you have a lot of sources already. And the more you include the literature, the easier it will become for you to explain your thesis and how incorporating literary work will help students and teachers alike.

5.   Chani Rubenstein on February 21st, 2017

Hi Brandon! I like your idea to do a bit per day, once you’ve had a chance to look at it again with fresh eyes. I’m trying to do a lot of the same. I’m going to bring in a book today that might be of use to you about special education. This and a few other sources will really help to support your thesis. We’re almost there! Hoping you’re well!